- Wireless and fixed broadband
- ICT/Telecom Regulation
- Digital economy
- Toni Janevski
- Sylwester Laskowski
This course will focus on technical, business and regulatory aspects of the 5G mobile networks. It include will 4G mobile technology transition toward the 5G, considering the access and core networks as well as end-user services. Mobile broadband Internet after 4G will continue with the next generation, 5G, so the course will cover also IPv6 and its impact on 5G mobile networks. Further, it will include M2M (Machine-to-Machine) and mobile Internet of Things (IoT) services are foreseen types in future 5G mobile environments, as well as mobile cloud computing implementations. The course will also include spectrum management for IMT (International Mobile Telecommunications) including the 5G considerations. The QoS in mobile networks going from 3G/4G mobile world toward the 5G will continue to be important hence the course will also focus on QoS and QoE in next generation mobile environments. Finally, the course will focus on emerging services and applications in 5G mobile networks in different verticals, including technology, as well as their business and regulation aspects.
This course is targeted at managers, engineers and employees from regulators, government organizations, telecommunication companies and academia, who are interested in understanding, implementation and regulation of technical, business and regulatory aspects of 5G network, including technologies, standardization, regulation and content. Other institutions and individuals that are dedicated in building their capacity related to technical, business and regulatory aspects of 5G network are also welcome to participate.
No specific prerequisites in terms of knowledge or qualifications are required for the intended target population.
At the end of the training, the participant should have gained an understanding of the key aspects of:
- Mobile broadband evolution
- LTE-Advanced-Pro: transition from 4G toward 5G mobile networks
- 5G network architecture: network slicing
- 5G New Radio access
- 5G Next Generation core network
- 5G services: mobile ultra-broadband and ultra-reliable low latency services
- Massive Internet of Things (IoT) and IPv6 in 5G
- 5G Quality of Service (QoS)
- Business aspects of 5G networks and services
- 5G/IMT spectrum management and regulation
This course will be delivered using instructor-led online learning. The course methodology will be as follows:
- Each day from 25 September to 29 September 2023 there will be made available two recorded video lectures. In total, there are 10 video lectures during the course.
- Course forum, asynchronous, will be organized based on discussion topics raised by the instructor on a daily basis, from Course Day 1 to Course Day 5, which will cover the course material on the given day. Also, participant responses will be asynchronous, keeping in mind the different time zones and daily commitments of participants from different countries around the world.
- General discussion forum, asynchronous, will be provided for participants to ask their own questions which can be answered by the instructor and other participants.
- Final Quiz test will be assigned on the last day of the course, 2 October 2023.
- All announcements for all events (lectures, quiz and forum) will be given in a timely manner (prior to the event) by the course tutor.
The evaluation of the participants will be based on 80% from the Final Quiz and 20% from the answers given in the course forum on the raised discussion topics on daily basis by the tutor, thus reflecting both the quantity and the quality of time spent on the course.
The Final Quiz will be open from 00:00 hours on Monday (2nd of October 2023) according to the GMT+1 time, and will remain open for 30 hours after opening, so each participant can choose the most convenient time to solve it. However, after the start of the attempt the Quiz should be completed in 90 minutes. The Final Quiz contributes with 80% in the total grade.
The course is completed successfully with a total grade of 70% or higher. The grading will be completed by the course tutor after the course is fully completed.
Each fully registered participant who successfully completes the course with a total grade of 70% or higher will receive an ITU Certificate for this course.
The ITU certificates will be given to participants via the ITU Academy platform after completion of the course reporting and processing within the ITU.
Lecture 1. Mobile broadband evolution
Lecture 2. LTE-Advanced-Pro: transition from 4G toward 5G mobile networks
Lecture 3. 5G network architecture: network slicing
Lecture 4. 5G New Radio access
Lecture 5. 5G Next Generation core network
Lecture 6. 5G services: mobile ultra-broadband and ultra-reliable low latency services
Lecture 7. Massive Internet of Things (IoT) and IPv6 in 5G
Lecture 8. 5G Quality of Service (QoS)
Lecture 9. Business aspects of 5G networks and services
Lecture 10. 5G/IMT spectrum management and regulation
Consolidation of knowledge
Consolidation of knowledge
See full training outline below.