About ITU Academy
Aimed at integrating and providing education, training and information resources on information and communication technologies (ICTs), ITU Academy provides an integrated and streamlined approach to the Telecommunication Development Bureau’s (BDT) capacity building activities. Delivered in cooperation with numerous public and private sector partners, available courses address a wide scope of ICT-related topics ranging from programmes for government policy makers and regulators, professional business-focused curricula for senior ICT executives and managers, to specialized programmes for technical and operational staff.
Examples of training courses and foundational knowledge resources available through the ITU Academy include:
- Analogue to Digital Migration
- Broadband Wireless Access
- Cyber Security
- Competition and Price Regulation
- Convergent Regulation, Emergency Communications
- Mobile Technologies and Services
- Universal Service Strategies
The ITU Academy also aims to train representatives of ITU's front-line training partners on how to use and deliver these courses and resources in an effective manner. In order to carry out the many ITU Academy activities around the globe, ITU’s Regional and Area Offices play a major role in their delivery.
As at December 2010, the ITU Academy network of partner training institutions includes approximately 60 CoEs and 77 ITCs representing key players in delivering education, training and information in the regions. The CoE network comprises institutions sharing expertise, resources and capacity building know-how in telecommunications and ICTs training/education. The ITCs help developing countries meet their human resource requirements for skilled Internet and "new broadband economy" professionals through Internet and IP-related training programmes. ITU Academy supports the ongoing activities of the aforementioned institutions by making freely available to them ICT related training courses and related resources.
About ITU Academy Portal
All ITU Academy activities are accessible through a portal to be found at http://academy.itu.int. This portal allows for a single access point to all ITU training interventions, whether delivered face-to-face, or through instructor-led or self-paced e-learning. The cornerstone of the ITU Academy portal is the delivery of capacity building related training and educational opportunities. In order to adequately deliver these training interventions, the portal utilizes a Learning Management System (LMS). The LMS work together to facilitate an enhanced learning environment which allows for:
- instructor-led and self-paced distance learning modules,
- knowledge transfer regarding face-to-face training offerings (through the provision of presentations from workshops, summary reports of proceedings, etc.), multiple language postings,
- social networking and
- collaboration tools.
The ITU Academy portal, supported by the LMS, tracks and manages the varied training and educational opportunities. Further, different depths of training materials are provided which cater to the varying needs of learners.
In summary, the ITU Academy Portal provides the following target features:
- Single visibility on all ITU-BDT capacity building activities
- Multiple delivery channels: face-to-face, blended, self-paced and instructor led e-learning
- Content and courseware for teaching and training modules
- Foundational knowledge resources on various ICT and capacity building related topics
- Harmonized quality standards, instructional design, media-rich presentation formats
- Different knowledge depths for different learners
Your support for our programmes provides new ITU ICT learning and development opportunities worldwide. Thank you for your interest.